Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy New Year!

 

Should auld acquaintance be forgot,

And never brought to mind?

Should auld acquaintance be forgot,

And auld lang syne!

Auld Lang Syne!  One of my favorite songs of the holidays.  I look forward to New Year’s nearly every year, not just because of our awesome New Year’s Eve party, but also because I get an excuse to listen to this song over and over again. 

Auld Lang Syne which translates to Old Long Since (or Old Long Ago) is a song which celebrates the opportunity for a fresh start.  Saying goodbye to the old and welcoming the new.  Not dwelling in the past but pushing on to the future.  In a way, it reminds me of a verse in Philippians 3:13-14 -

“Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

So whether it be in the matter of pressing forward with a new goal to accomplish this upcoming year, regaining or rebuilding relationships, or keeping focused on the prize for which God has called you, let us keep in mind that the past is history and our focus is the future. 

Should auld acquaintance be forgot and Auld Lang Syne.

Happy New Year 2012!!

No comments:

Post a Comment