Monday, December 19, 2011

When Crystal Sings…..

My Great-Grandma Whitbeck passed away when I was three years old so I was never given the chance to know her.  However, a person’s memory or legacy is not necessarily what you experience first-hand but rather, what you experience through the generations of continuing with a certain routine or tradition.   In this case, my great-grandma’s legacy continues in my family with “singing” (as I call it) crystal glasses.

After the Thanksgiving or Christmas meal would be over my great grandma would begin to run her finger around and around the top edge of her glass until the steady, warm tone would ring.  To this day when my family is finished with a meal it is inevitable that someone will begin to “sing” their glass in the same way my great grandma did.  Usually it’s either myself or my brother.  In many cases, if one sees the other begin to circle the top of their glass with their finger the other will follow to see who can create the steady tone first.  Every time I hear crystal “sing” I think of my great grandma and the memory instilled in me by years of continued tradition. 

Today I came across this short video and since “singing” crystal is so dear to my heart I decided I would share it.  This it definitely “crystal-singing” taken to a whole new level than just around a kitchen table.  Extremely beautiful to listen to and I hope you enjoy!!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment