Friday, December 2, 2011

Craft Store Temptation

One of the most difficult things to accomplish in life is to walk through a craft store and walk out of the store with only purchasing the single item you were intending to buy when you first walked in.  I had to face this insurmountable struggle this afternoon.

Adam's birthday party is tomorrow and I was given the self-appointed task of going to Michael's to buy 5 wooden model kits for the kids to paint.  My budget was a mere $10 at most and I had a strict time limit of 15 minutes or less because I had somewhere else I was expected to be.  Hind sight being what it is, the small amount of time I had to spend in the store was probably my saving grace.  Otherwise my shopping list and budget would have been voluntarily forgotten.

Getting the kids out of the car, crossing the parking lot and reminding them for the millionth time in their very short lives how to act in a store went without a hitch.  Then came the daunting task of walking to the end of the store where the kits were located; past the scrapbooks and paper, stickers and ribbon, beads, embellishments, yarn, and all the other "must-haves" without succumbing to the voice in my head that says I need any of it.  At one point I found a packet of scrapbook paper perfect for Emma and Katie Jo's scrapbooks, complete with glitter, swirls and all the fun girlie colors.  I wanted so badly to pick up that book of paper and put it in my cart but resisted such temptation with the excuse of, "well, I can come back with a coupon and get it for much cheaper", which I more than likely will. 

Sometimes it is alarming to think of just how much money I could lay down in a craft store.  I could very easily see hundreds of dollars leaving my bank account with only the swipe of my debit card if left to purchase all the craft items I so desperately think I need to have.  But thankfully my frugal nature overpowers my sense of desire and I'm able to walk away with money still left in the bank.  

Don't we all have some type of guilty pleasure or wild fantasy?  Mine just happens to be about over-spending in a craft store. :-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment