Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Mary Moments

 

Yesterday at a MOPS planning meeting I was given a sheet of paper with questions regarding mothering.  I gave it a quick glance and figured I would take a closer look at it later on in the evening when I had more time to really consider the answers I would potentially give.  But in my quick glance, one question (or should I say, PART of a question) stayed firm in my thoughts.

The question read:

What is your philosophy, basis or core values for mothering?

Honestly, I have no idea how I would answer that at the moment.  The part which stuck out was the following statement:

“You can answer this with a scripture, quote, idea or anything that will give us an idea of where you are coming from as a mother”

There it is!  Scripture!!

You know, as moms there are many go-to scriptures we cling to.  In fact, I googled “Scriptures for moms” and here are some of the verses that came up….

“God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.” –Psalm 46:1

“She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue.” –Proverbs 31:26

“Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it.” – Proverbs 22:6

“Discipline your children, and they will give you peace; they will bring you the delights you desire.” – Proverbs 29:17

Don’t get me wrong here.  These are GREAT scriptures!!  And there are many more I could list here, but there is one verse I wish were also listed.  In fact, when it comes to my journey as a mom, it’s my all-time favorite!

Want to know what it is?   I can’t wait to tell you!!

Luke 2:19 –

“But Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart.”

WOW!!!! 

Do you realize how incredible that verse is??  

Mary had just given birth to Jesus, the Christ, the Son of God, in a barn no less.  A multitude of angels appeared to shepherds to declare the arrival which led them to race to the stable to welcome the baby.  This was an incredible experience for young Mary.  And what does she do?  She quietly meditates on it, pondering all that has happened in her heart. 

In this context, the term ‘pondering’ means ‘to keep safe’.  She didn’t want to let these experiences and memories slip away from her.  They were too special! 

As moms, it’s so easy to let a busy schedule, crazy households and nonstop kids distract us from the preciousness of the season of life we are in.  We don’t get to have young kids at home forever.  They will grow.  They will start to be a bit more independent.  Eventually, it will be time for them to leave the house.   Then we are left wishing we had those times back. 

Even the difficult moments! 

If you take anything away from this blog, please take this:

Take time to have Mary moments!  Treasure up those times with your kids and ponder them in your heart.  Grab hold of this precious season in your life and savor it.  This time in our lives only happens once!  Hold onto it tightly and keep those moments safe in your heart.   

“But Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart”   

No comments:

Post a Comment