Thursday, September 5, 2013

Individual Reconsideration

The other day I was conversing with someone when they surprised me by sharing a concern.

To paraphrase, the main concern was that I was not identifying myself as Krista anymore but allowing my role in life and surrounding circumstances identify who I am.

It was an interesting concern and one I had never heard expressed to me before but it got me thinking. 

Who really am I? 

If you were to ask me 10 years ago who I was, the reply was simple.  I was simply Krista.  I was a confident individual.  I was busy with many activities and work.  I was engaged but still able to hold my individual place in this world. 

That was who I was.  But not necessarily who I am now.  And you know what?  I LOVE THAT FACT!!!

As I thought and pondered this person’s concern for me, I felt excited and blessed by the fact that indeed, I do not identify myself as just Krista anymore. 

Let me explain.

Over the past 10 years my identity has, in fact, changed.  I am a wife, a mother of four, I have a deeper relationship with Christ, I have developed new hobbies, I have made new, lifelong friends, I actually know my career of choice and have plans to pursue it.  By a large margin, I am not the same person I was 10 years ago. 

Now brace yourself because here’s where my epiphany happened!

I wouldn’t even WANT to identify myself as just Krista anymore.  

Seeing myself as an individual is so flat and boring.  It’s the people in my life and the roles I play in other people’s lives that give my life depth and meaning.  I feel more blessed today than I did 10 years ago and the change that happened was my focus shifted away from me as an individual.

I have not lost sight of who I am, but rather have expanded on who I am. 

I am still strong, confident Krista who likes to read while taking scalding hot baths.  It’s just now I get to have kids pounding on the door and a husband peaking in periodically too. 

….. and I wouldn’t want it any other way. Red heart

1 comment:

  1. Love this! as you were talking.. I got the visual of how we go through our lives like a 50's Fred Astaire musical # where they start at the top of the stairs by themselves in a solo and end at the bottom with a full band orchestra and a ton of singers and dancers and a full band...isn't that what it's about? I think you are doing it just right my dear Rock on!

    ReplyDelete