Tuesday, April 3, 2012

When our happy gets confused

As I have mentioned in previous posts, I have been working through the book Made To Crave.  Let me tell you, this book is good on so many levels.  It’s not just about replacing your cravings for food by learning to crave Christ.  It’s more about stripping away the things in our life we use to hide behind so we don’t have to deal with our true struggles. 

One thing I want to share is the concept of what we tie our happy to.  How many times have we thought something like,

“I’ll be happy once I reach a certain wealth.”

“I’ll be happy once I can fit into that particular size”

“I’ll be happy once I find that certain someone”

“I’ll be happy once I get that dream job”

The list is endless!!  It may not even be something we are conscious about yet we can almost always identify those areas in our life we think of as less-than-desirable and then rationalize it as “but I’ll be happy with it when….”

“I hate my body now and it depresses me to look in the mirror, but I’ll be happy once I’m a size 8”

“It depresses me that I’m broke all the time.  Nothing seems to work out and I’m constantly worrying about money.  I’ll be happy once I can have more money"

“I hate being single and on my own.  I’ll be happy once I can get married”

Don’t we all do this at one point or another?  But here’s something to think about.  Now listen up!!  Do I have your attention?  Here it is….

If your happy is missing now, in your current situation, your happy will still be missing when you achieve what it is you’ve been pining for.

Did you understand that?!  Let me say it again just in case you missed it.

If your happy is missing now, in your current situation, your happy will still be missing even when you achieve what it is you’ve been pining for.

WOW!!!  It’s true!  God has placed each and every one of us right where He wants us.  If that is the case, perhaps instead of constantly complaining, being depressed, and/or wishing for something else, maybe we should grasp the challenge He has set before you – to learn acceptance, patience and contentment. 

Here are some words from Isaiah 55:8-12

“For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the Lord.

“As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.

As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.

You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace.”

On the back of this passage comes another….

“As the Father has loved me, so I have loved you.  Now remain in my love.  If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father’s commands and remain in his love.  I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete.  My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. (John 15:9-12)

Did you catch that?  “So your joy can be complete” We are not supposed to tie our happy to the things and relationships of this world.  We are supposed to tie our happy to Jesus so He can bring fulfillment to our lives and so our joy may be complete. 

It doesn’t matter if you are wearing the exact size you want, or if you make the amount of money you want, or live in the house you want, or have the husband and number of kids you want,  or have the job you want.  These are not the things that will make you happy.  If these are what we are tying our happy to then we will not experience true joy and happiness.  It is only through Christ that we may have lasting joy. 

Here’s my challenge to you – look at your life right now.  Really look at it!  If there are areas that make you depressed, anxious, worrisome, unhappy and unfulfilled, I challenge you to ask yourself, “am I tying my happy to this?” Remember that only Christ can bring pure happiness and fulfillment.

No comments:

Post a Comment