Friday, April 6, 2012

The battle of Green Beans!

Green beans are a staple in my household.  I’m not a fan of peas, cooked carrots are disgusting, raw carrots just don’t satisfy the desire for something warm on my dinner plate, and corn has too many carbs.  This leaves green beans. 

If I had my way, I would live right next door to my grandpa who has an extremely beautiful garden, which includes fresh green beans right on the vine.  One of my favorite things is picking the green beans, snapping off the end and enjoying the deliciousness of a freshly picked, squeaky bean.  But since I’m currently a couple hundred miles away from those ripe, yummy veggies, I have to settle for canned or frozen. 

My kids generally like fruits and veggies and will clean those off their plate first.  Only on one occasion did I catch my daughter trying to feed her green beans to our dog….. along with her peanut butter and jelly sandwich. 

Our youngest, I have recently discovered, is not such a fan of the green bean.  After putting a spoonful on her highchair tray the other day, she proceeded to ignore them completely.  I saw this and tried to hand-feed her one but once the bean entered her mouth her eyes squeezed shut, hands in tight fists and the screaming and crying ensued.  What was going on here?!  I tried again, but when I got the bean close to her she immediately started turning her head and loudly exclaimed her dislike of the situation.

It wasn’t until I grabbed the camera (because that’s just the kind of mom I am….. the kind who grabs the camera to capture these unconventional photo opportunities) that she stopped her screaming and smiled.  Only then would she finish eating the green bean which was left sitting her mouth. 

I got into a rhythm of getting a bean into her mouth and then holding up the camera while she posed and chewed.  In all, we managed to eat about 5 green beans that day.  But it wasn’t without a fight.  

 

064075076

071

072

1 comment: